Tuesday, April 20, 2010

USE IT OR LOSE

I would like to take credit for coming up with that saying but alas! I did not. I'm speaking of my muscles. I have noticed over the last few months I have been achy and keep getting pulls and strains in my muscles/joints. I mentioned it at my recent physical and instead of the comment about aging - which I expected, she asked if I had been exercising. Ahem. That's a little personal. Wasn't it enough that she weighed me? Anyway - she reminded me that if I don't use my muscles I will lose them. Have I mentioned that I hate/loathe/despise sweating? Nor do I like doing things that are boring and I equate exercise with boredom plus the added detraction of sweat. So I bought myself a bowflex treadclimber on Craigslist. Pretty proud of myself. Got a great buy. Thought if I put the thing in Billy's study, under the ceiling fan, IN the air conditioning and in front of the TV I MIGHT do something to 'use it' and avoiding 'losing it.' Anyway....

I came upon this passage of scripture in my daily reading:

"God arms me with strength, and He makes my way perfect." Ps. 18: 32

It reminded me that God gives us strength in order that our ways become perfect. Looking at the great loss of my life I need to know that God is using that loss and the grief that ensued to make my way perfect. Just as physical exercise makes our bodies perfect so do trials and tribulations exercise our spiritual bodies to be conformed into the image of Christ.

The wonder of it all is while my treadclimber can sit in that study without so much as a thought in that direction, the God who loves us, created us, has a plan for us and is working in us to perfect that plan will bring things into our lives that will force us to flex our spiritual muscle.

I love knowing that He has my life in His hands. I rejoice to know that as big a mess as it may seem from my side of the veil, His side is working it all out for perfection. Not just good. Pefect. I like that.

Let's flex some muscle this week.

5 comments:

Jan Vest said...

Thanks! I love it! I love how as I get older, my spiritual muscles increase while my physical muscles decrease. 30 yrs ago I would have laughed if someone had told me that! Now I see! Ha.

Anonymous said...

Sherrie, I have discovered T-Tapp by Theresa Tapp. You should check it out. Also, Callanetics by Callan Pinckney. and... Exhale Spa's Core Fusion Body Sculpt http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_Xogtbsmu0 It's a 10-MINUTE WORKOUT, there's 4 or so videos. No running or jumping but you get deep muscle action.

Tom Robbins said...

Pilates. I remember you recommending that to me for us A+ blood types. I thought that was from experience. Wasn't it?

The Mershawn's said...

Ugh. I've been feeling a little jiggly myself these days, thinking I would feel so much better if I'd EXCERSICE. Again. Ugh. I hate sweating too. And I hate boring things too. Need to change it up to like it, but the treadmill is so much easier.
But, what a great thought that the spiritual side of me needs to be worked out too...and that I like!! :)
Love you...

rowdyangel said...

Well, you did it.....you inspired me to flex some physical muscle!!! You ALWAYS inspire me to flex spiritual muscle!!! Have a great week! Hugs, Paula