Monday, February 23, 2009

Psalm 40: 1-3

"I waited patiently for the Lord to help me, and He turned to me and heard my cry. He lifted me out of the pit of despair, out of the mud and the mire. He set my feet on solid ground and steadied me as I walked along. He has given me a new song to sing, a hymn of praise to our God. Many will see what He has done and be astounded. They will put their trust in the Lord."

I caught something this morning when I read this familar psalm and I wanted to share it with you. Notice with me that God lifts us from the pit of despair and sets us on solid ground. But also notice - He has to steady us after we get there!! Isn't that interesting?

I know that after my Mother went to be with the Lord I felt unsteady. I felt like the ground I walked on was shifting beneath my feet. The constant in any child's life - and I guess it doesn't matter the age - is your parents. With both mine gone in such a short space of time, I guess that's why my eyes tarried on the fact that He steadies us on solid ground.

There are many things that pull us, throw us or cause to be in a pit of despair. Some of us just jump in and others are blindsided by it but the pit is deep and dark and full of mire that causes our feet to be stuck with quicksand-like mud that makes walking difficult. Maybe - like me - you have been in that pit for so long that you have gotten used to walking with mud on your feet and as it begins to fall off you need a steady hand to help you walk again. That's what God is telling us. He will pull us out. He will set us out. He will clean us out. It's all about Him. He's the Savior. He's the pit-rescuer, foot-steadier and song-giver. And when it's all said and done - He will get the glory.

I'm just taking some baby steps outside the pit. I need that strong right arm to uphold me. I need the lifter of my head to point me to the Sonshine. And may I just add this to the sore of heart today. I don't know that I even cried out to Him. I was so deep in my pit of grief that I didn't care to leave it. I think He just wooed me with the light to raise my head just enough to see the hand He offered to me.

Beloved, He is the lover of your soul. He not only knows where your pit is, He is already there to facilitate your rescue. A new song awaits you. A steady road is ahead. Wait patiently for the Lord. He is the fulfiller of all He has said. And when it is all said and done - others will come to know Him because of your rescue.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really needed this today.

Julie Simmons said...

Amen and Amen!!!

Reminds me of this poem by Sheila Walsh (from her book, "Honestly"_. God used these words years ago to woo me from the pit, much like you are describing.

"I never knew you lived so close to the floor
But every time I am broken,
Bent over by this weight of grief
I feel your hand on my shoulder
Your tears on my neck
You never tell me to pull myself together
To stem the flow of tears
You simply stay by my side for as long as it takes
So close to the floor."