Monday, February 16, 2009

Watching Jesus

Each year I attempt to do something different in my quiet time and this year I changed my Read-Through-the Bible in a year from a chronological to an OT/NT/Psalm/Proverb. I am really enjoying it because I am usually DYING to get to Jesus by late September! That's a good place to be but I'm really enjoying getting a dose of Him everyday in my reading. :)

One of the things I particularly enjoy about reading God's word is 'watching' Jesus. Not just reading the words but watching what He does and what He doesn't do that I think I might have done. Just this morning...He went up to pray early and the disciples came and said, "All these people are here looking for you." And He said, "It's time to move on." He didn't base His plans on what others wanted of Him but on His Father's business. Too often I base mine on the wants of others thinking surely that's His will.

Just this morning.....the friends of the paralyzed man dropped him through the roof for healing and Jesus forgave his sins. Something I noticed was the friends of the paralyzed man were unable to get to Jesus except through the roof. The Pharisees, on the other hand, were on the front row ready to criticize Jesus for forgiving and not healing. So Jesus did both - forgave him and healed him. The paralyzed was ecstatic and the Pharisees were madder than hornets.

Goes to show....you can't always please people and you shouldn't try. Jesus went about His Father's business. He strove to please an audience of One. Even the most religious misjudged Him, labelled Him and sought to kill Him but He shook the dust from His sandals and kept moving. However, He never stopped loving and He never stopped ministering.

I like to watch Jesus. He shows me up when I watch Him do something and I think, "I would have done that differently." That is a heads-up to realign my life to His. Nowhere in scripture do we see Jesus fretting about people's perception of Him. Isn't that interesting? Because we are acutely aware and bothered by how we are perceived by others.....and yet, how about how God perceives us? That was Jesus' number one priority - to be a God-pleaser.

Watch Jesus as you read your Bible this week. Watch to see what He does and what He doesn't do. Ask yourself, "what would I have done?" And begin to realign your life to His ways. Break free from the confines of the dictates of man (and that 'man' might be YOU!) and walk with Jesus.

Have an adventurous and free week!

2 comments:

Denise said...

I'm following the same reading plan this year, and I'm reading The Message rather than my usual NIV. It has been a wonderful way to read the Bible. I'll pray for you as you are reading the same passages that I'm reading. It will almost be like reading together!

alyssa said...

Sherrie, this is really great timing for me and extremely applicable:
"And He said, "It's time to move on." He didn't base His plans on what others wanted of Him but on His Father's business. Too often I base mine on the wants of others thinking surely that's His will."

Thanks for your little words of wisdom...:)