Monday, January 19, 2009

Sisters, Sisters - There were never more devoted sisters


My sister and I spent a day shopping for some office furniture for her new house this week. It was a rare opportunity for us to be together without spouses or children and we thoroughly enjoyed our time together. There is such a sweet fellowship present when you have that genetic bond and also a spiritual one. My sister and I have that. We are not only sisters by blood but also in spirit. She loves the Lord and is committed to being all that He wants her to be. So our time together becomes as spiritual as it is functional.

We happened to get caught in a huge traffic jam on the bridge over Lake Ray Hubbard so we decided to exit and have dinner at the Mexican food restaurant that our nephew works at. He happened to be off that night but we made it clear we were his aunts and we were THERE!

We had a nice dinner and then the sweet little waiter brought our ticket. That's when the trouble began. I took my wallet out of my purse and my kleenex fell onto the floor. Being the neat freak I am, I bent over in my seat to pick it up. Now mind you - my feet do not reach the floor in my chair and my arms are really short - so I reached with my right hand and my left hand held onto the seat of my chair and it flipped me out of the chair. Lovely. I so slowly and so gracefully (if that's possible) fell out of my chair at dinnertime in the restaurant where my nephew works.

The sweet little waiter is helping me and asking "are you OK?" and as I get back to my feet I look over at my sister and she is laughing so hard she is purple-faced. This is the same sister who - by the way - walked into the men's restroom at WalMart that very day and USED it! How could she laugh at me?

That's blood for you. A friend would have helped you. A friend would have been mortified for you. Not blood. They laugh their heads off and remind you about it for the rest of your life. Nothing like family.


3 comments:

Julie Simmons said...

having two sisters, i can totally relate! nothing like it! :-)

The Mershawn's said...

Hehe....I almost fell out of my chair picturing the scene:). You guys are just too much fun. Oh, and by the way, Parker's been looking for you again today:).
Amber

Jan Vest said...

Oh my word, I would have KILLED to have been there for both events. I would have peed my pants for sure watching Sherrie hit that floor. The things I miss out on!!!