Monday, March 8, 2010

Tribute to a Great Man

My parents divorced after 28 years of marriage and after two single years my mom married Shelby. He was 12 years her senior but had started a family late so marrying her made him an automatic Grandaddy! He never let her or us forget it! :)

We all called him Grandaddy. His first and last words to all us girls would be, "Sure do love you sweetheart!" Always.

He was the busiest man I've ever known. My mom was slow to make decisions, slow to change and he was exactly the opposite. You just had to speak the thought and he was out the door and at Lowe's. He was the best and fastest painter you've ever seen. He picked pecans for mother, my sister and me every single year for as long as I can remember and he always said, "Sherrie doesn't know that these come in shells." Truly I did not. :)

He was also a meticulous gardener. He could be found on the hottest Temple days trimming the edges of his grass with SCISSORS! No joke. He climbed trees well into his 80's with my mom screaming at him from the house. He got restless leg syndrome and when it bothered him he would just hop up and go sweep the driveway. Can't tell you how many mornings he woke me up at 4:30 am!

One day I was taking him to the dr at the VA Hospital and we drove around forever - and that is no exaggeration - until he told me we could use the valet parking for free! I hit him on the arm and then as we walked in I hit him again for good measure. He said, "I'm going to have to stop by the ER!" He was so funny.

He took care of my mom like nothing you've ever seen. Brought her coffee every morning and that last day he was by her side when she passed on to heaven. He said to her as they rolled her away for the last time, "I'll be right behind you darling."

So now he has gone on to his heavenly reward. Don't guess there will be any painting in heaven but I sure bet he is working the gardens! Perhaps he's just gathering bouquets for when "his girls" come. I know this - he isn't missing us! He's healthy and happy and dancing and singing and praising God and in his timing, we'll be there soon.

We sure do love you Grandaddy! And we sure will miss you......but we'll see you soon.

2 comments:

Denise said...

Bless you, Sherrie. What a wonderful tribute.

Sue Hatley White said...

I love your tribute. You truely captured the essence of who Dad was and how we want to remember and honor his memory. This made me tear up with joy.