Monday, March 15, 2010

BEHOLD, I MAKE ALL THINGS NEW


Trees are budding, doves are cooing, daylight savings time has been initiated and there is a new warmth to the air - yes - it's almost spring! It seems like overnight brown and naked gives way to green and leafy. But it isn't overnight. It is a gradual process that takes attention to appreciate. I believe that is why Jesus said - "behold." It means to take the time to look. Don't just take for granted that spring is coming. Experience it!

So many of us were anxious for winter to end. Winter symbolizes death and barrenness. But it also signifies a time of rest. Winter is necessary. It takes lots of effort to be reborn. The trees and flowers must dig deep and pull up from their root systems. They have to push up through the dirt and toward the sun.

The same is true for believers. There is a time of rest that is good and necessary but there is a time to shake off the lethargy and push toward the Son. To pay attention. Where is God at work around you? What has He gifted you to do? Where is the need? How are you fitted to accommodate it?

In the last five years we have experienced the homegoing of our son, my dad, my mom and my stepdad. Just yesterday our daughter-in-law's father unexpectedly joined them. This has been a long winter. For us. I told Billy last night if I did not know without a doubt how much better heaven was I would say we were cursed. But that is vision-less thinking. Instead I choose to focus on rebirth. Those that I love so much are experiencing what you and I should be living for.

Colossians says to set your mind on things above where Christ is. That would be heaven. We are to live for heaven. It is our goal - our reward. C. S. Lewis says that those who live for heaven are the most useful to this earth. Our goal is not cars, jewels, wealth and material possessions. Nor is it to live forever. Our goal is to hear 'well done!' To live in such a way that lives are changed because of our lives touching theirs.

"Behold" - pay attention. Spring is a gift and a symbol of living! Bear fruit for Him. It is the sign that you are living. Push toward the Son. He wants to make you and me into something new! Not just reworked or upgraded - new! So let's begin today to see the budding of growth in ourselves and those around us and to nurture it. Let's be sensitive to the warmth of the Spirit's touch to ours and fan the flames. May this spring be the beginning of a new day for us. A life lived with eternity in mind.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What inspiring and encouraging words on such a beautiful spring day! Love,
Ann

Melody said...

I have been reminded recently when lamenting the deaths and impending deaths surrounding me that it is all part of the stages and cycles in this life. I believe that it happens in God's timing and that He and those that go before us help us in this life. Appreciated your words. Thanks,
Melody

The Mershawn's said...

Miss you too Aunt Sha! We need to see yall soon. Maybe out on a boat??:) hehe and I never commented on this post. So very peaceful & encouraging. Love you.