Monday, January 18, 2010

Focusing on the Promises

The weathermen are promising us a week of 'spring-like' weather in North Texas and I'm excited about that. So far our winter has been pretty cold and while there is no way that winter is over, the brief respite from cold reminds us that spring will come.

We've experienced some winters that were unseasonably warm and there were consequences from that. We had more bugs and the foliage was confused about when to bloom. It taught me that winter is necessary - not just something to be endured. The same is true about seasons of winter in our lives.

Winter - times when our lives seem barren and cold and God's presence far away. Billy and I took advantage of yesterday's warmer weather and did a little yard work. We have several plants that we brought to our new home from my mother and step-dad's home. They were avid gardeners and it is so sweet to have living reminders of them in our yard. I found myself taking hold of the stems and limbs and pulling them close to my face looking closely for signs of life. I saw nothing and I was glad.

You see - it's too early for them to bud. Winter isn't over. For them to bud too early would put them in danger of being killed by a cold snap. And these plants are precious to me.

Think about your life. You are so precious to God. You are created in His image and endowed with His spirit. He has made wonderful and precious promises to you that are inviolate in keeping with His nature. Just as winter is necessary for the earth, so it is for the believer. We need times of dormancy to put our roots down deep. We need to rest from the ceaseless tyranny of our schedules and the overwhelming needs of a sinful land. And in that time of dormancy - as we look for signs of life and see none, we need to take heart. In His time, there will be.

Nothing is impossible for Him and no human can thwart His purposes or plans. He who began a good work in you will complete it. These are promises that we hold to regardless of what we see. He knows that for us to bloom too quickly would put us in danger of injury should a 'cold snap' come.

I was able to smile when I saw no buds on the plants in my yard. I think we should purpose to smile when we see no 'buds' in our lives. We have seasons - just as the earth does. God is at work in you and as long as you are seeking Him, loving Him and obeying Him, you need only trust in His promises and that His timing is perfect. Always.

No season is forever. Wherever you are right now is God's perfect place for you - to learn, to grow stronger, to rest and to emerge with much fruit to the praise of His glory.


3 comments:

The Mershawn's said...

I still come & read aunt Sha:). Thanks for taking the time to do this. You always say things that make me really think.

And...I love winter...makes us appreciate spring all the more:). Have a good day!

Vickie J said...

Hey girl! You know I still read them and still need them! I feel like winter is ending and Spring is beginning around here. I sit in my living room, now complete with couch and chair, and am amazed at what God has done for us after what seemed like a long winter of waiting! Vickie J

Julie Simmons said...

YOU are an amazing writer! Don't ever stop! Love you!