Tuesday, September 8, 2009

School Days

I was thinking about the start of school this morning - more specifically about when I was in school. It was so much fun to buy our little plaid dresses and pinafores. Yes, plaid was definitely "in" in the 60's. We also had 'to die for' metal lunch boxes and I absolutely loved carrying my lunch box each morning to school - though to be honest it took about ONE lunch before the thing stunk to high heaven. It was so cute on the outside but the inside always smelled like metallic old cheese. And I don't know about you - but my thermos never made it past the first week. I ALWAYS broke the glass. GASP I just realized - we would NEVER let our children carry a glass thermos. Plaid, glass, metal and dresses - times have sure changed.

Yet for many of us adults fall also signals the time for the start-up of new Bible study. I hope you are preparing yourself for a new school year. I hope there is anticipation in your heart and that you are preparing your wardrobe for a new year. It's the time to scrub our hearts, sharpen our vision, listen more intently, clothe ourselves in His righteousness alone and put on the shoes of the gospel of peace.

In the Psalms we continually hear a psalmist telling us that God wants to give us a "new song." That's what a new school year signifies for us. A new beginning. An opportunity to hear a fresh word from God and to act on that word. But it begins just like my mother began my school year - with a little preparation.

If you are preparing to begin a Bible study prepare yourself. If you don't have a Bible study on your calendar, consider doing so. We are to be students of His word. He is found in the words of those ancient pages and He is fresh, contemporary, living and active. Within the setting of the study of His word we will find brothers and sister who are like-minded and will help us to grow into the men and women we were purposed to be.

Apart from study and fellowship we will become like my cute lunch box - good-looking on the outside and stinky on the inside. And let me tell you something - by the end of the school year the metal didn't contain the stink!

Here's to the aroma of Christ in you!!! Happy school year!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your analogy of the beginning of the school year and the beginning of a Bible study gave me the push to go by the church a pick up the book, Me, Myself and Lie,for the study beginning on the 20th. Thank you for your continuing to enlighten my life through your Prayers and Praise messages and your Blog. Love,
Ann