Monday, June 29, 2009

DECKED - or hemmed in

Our deck is completed and many of you had asked me after my earlier pictures if we were going to put a railing around it. As you can see it is safely enclosed now. It was not safe without a railing and because for many weeks it was un-railed and unsafe, we were very careful about walking on it - staying very far away from the edge in case we accidentally overstepped and fell a nasty 9+ feet to the ground!

Now that the rail is safely installed, we are free to walk, jump, run, dance or any other fun shenanigan we choose to do. It very much reminds me of what the psalmist was trying to explain to us in Psalm 139: 5-6: "Thou hast enclosed me behind and before, and laid Thy hand upon me. Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is too high, I cannot attain to it."

The safety net that God has placed around the believer is meant to give us freedom - not to imprison us. It is where we are free to experience the fullness of life while living in the safety of His love.

It is not only a wonderful place to be but also such a 'high' thought that we have trouble wrapping our minds around it. Sometimes life doesn't feel or look safe. Even for a believer. There is a lot to be worried about and a lot to cause us to want to hang back and to walk cautiously - just like when my railing had not yet been installed.

God wants His word to penetrate our hearts in order that we live with bold abandon believing Him to have us enclosed in His protective right hand. As we begin a new week may we walk, dance, jump and run fully aware that we are safe to proclaim "He set my feet upon a rock making my footsteps firm. And He put a new song in my mouth, a song of praise to our God; many will see and fear, and will trust in the Lord." Psalm 40: 2-3

No comments: